Friday, March 9, 2012

The Reflection of My Essence


I look at myself in the mirror.  I see my dark brown eyes, my dark but thin hair, my nose with my nose ring, and my lips.  My skin is white but tan.  My reflection does not display the mixture of races that lies within the Italian, the German, and the Dutch.  Despite the background, I am viewed as American.

As I stare, I see the reflection of the cars driving by, the train stopping on the tracks, and the clouds rolling in front of the sun.  The squirrels are scarce as winter weather is here.  The ground is lightly dusted with snow, which will probably melt by tomorrow.  I see the many college students walking and riding their bikes to class.  I see the ones racing the train as to not be late. 

Photo found on etruth.com
My mirror reflects the college life in northern Indiana.  It reveals the “norms” of college students.  I can see some doing dishes in the house next door.  I see others waiting to cross the busy street after a train has just passed.  I see a crowd of bikes outside of buildings all around campus.  I see the students with their book bags.  I see one of two looks on their faces: oh dang I forgot to do my homework or, I would rather skip this class and be in bed. 

If I look further, I see more than the cold of northern Indiana.  I can see into my home life in Ohio.  I can see the corn fields outside of my small town.  I can see Main Street lined with old buildings and empty lots where the oldest used to be.  Then I see the town.  I see the few local shops, the best Mexican restaurant there is, and one of the biggest super Wal-Mart stores in the area.

Then, I begin to see my second home.  As we ride in a mix between a 15-passenger van and the college sports bus, we drive into San Juan de la Maguana, Dominican Republic.  I see the arch as we enter the town.  I see the motorcycles weaving in and out of the cars.  I see the traffic signs that most don’t pay attention to.  I see the beautiful mountains of the countryside.  I see the apartment building where my Dominican family lives.  I see the beautiful walkway into the apartment.  I catch a glimpse of a life that affected me so much that it will never be forgotten.       

I look in the mirror and see more than a simple reflection.  I catch a glimpse of three lives rolled up into one.  I see a reflection of the culture and lifestyle of a college student.  I see a reflection of a life at home that was so normal for the first 18 years of life.  I see a reflection of the cross cultural experiences and newfound family.  I see my life rolled up into a bottle of experiences. 

5 comments:

  1. I appreciate the GC details you include here, something I wish I would’ve done! It’s exciting to read something in your reflection essay that resonates so clearly for me. I also really like the way you transition from the world immediately around you to your growing up in Ohio. It’s funny, because I feel like yours is almost about me, talking about the DR as well. A good reminder of the way in which many of our lives are connected and similar on the surface, but then, as you say at the beginning, beneath it is hidden that unique experience that each of us possess, that sets us apart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you mention Goshen College. Our college experience is something that will be with us for the rest of our lives. Even though it is a small campus and mostly everybody knows each other, each person's story here at GC is very different and unique.

    It's amazing that you can call another place home in another country. It is a different country, culture, and environment and you can call it home. I have the same thing in Mexico where my grandmother lives. I wish I would see her more and visit the family. Point is I have another home in another country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krista, wonderful descriptions and imagery! I definitely connected with having a second home in another country. I've never been the the DR, but it sounds beautiful! You went back over spring break right? Or was it another Latin American country that you went to for break?

    Memories are so much a part of who we are. It is interesting to think about ourselves changing so drastically due to a change in location. There are whole worlds out there to explore - infinite possibilities for who we could become as a result of travel, culture, language, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krista, I liked how you incorporated all of the different places you consider to be home in this post. As a college student, I realize that I haven't lived at home for three years now, but still consider Nebraska and the Midwest to be my true "home." However, Goshen College is also beginning to hold a special place in my heart, as it is such a unique blend of different people and experiences.

    I loved seeing pictures of the places that you've been in the Dominican Republic. The scenery seems beautiful, but it seems as though the relationship you have formed with your family there is what truly makes it seem like another "home." I hope that you continue to have the opportunity to keep up with and deepen this relationship!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Krista, you did a great job of pulling together your three homes in this essay. I especially like the way you pulled the Goshen College experiences into your essay. It's so easy to forget what is right in front of us--the life we are living at the moment--when we think of "home." This essay moves through several homes beyond your home of origin in Ohio, and it is clear that you are claiming new "homes" as your experience broadens and you find new connections. It's special that your sense of home spans borders and oceans to embrace the Dominican. The photos add a lot here, too.

    ReplyDelete