Friday, February 10, 2012

The Guardians

The book The Guardians was an interesting book. It highlighted the struggles families go through when they are split up. Coming to the United States is no easy thing to do. There are so many immigration laws that cause many to be unable to come to the United States illegally. This journey is long and hard for most.
This is the basis of the story. Rafa never finds his family on "the other side" once they have arrived in the United States. The family doesn't know if he is dead, alive, in the United States, or back in Mexico. This is the main focus.
The family goes to extreme lengths to figure out what happened to Rafa. They do things like going to the coyote's house. From my impression, this house seems to be a dangerous place. However, the family is so dedicated to find Rafa, they are willing to take the risk. This is one aspect I am looking to explore for my final paper: family. Family seems to be a unifying factor throughout this book. They are constantly joining together to try and find Rafa and figure out what happened to him. They are not satisfied until they found out about what really happened.
I find this very interesting. I can't imagine being in this type of situation. It makes me think a lot about what I would do if I were. Would I have the courage to stand up to someone like a coyote for the sake of finding someone in my family? I don't know since I have never been in this type of situation.
The extreme situation pulled the family together. Would my family and I be able to unite to find my dad? The Guardians shows an interesting aspect of family that most people don't experience.

1 comment:

  1. What questions do you want to ask about families in Latino Literature in your final project? Here the family consists of an Aunt and a Nephew, drawn together in a search for a brother/father. They have both lost people who are precious to them, and they bond together to fend off these losses. Looking at the specifics of a story will help you to gain greater insights into the novel.You do a good job of raising questions that connect the reading with your own experience.

    ReplyDelete