Saturday, January 7, 2012

My Name

My parents named me Krista Marie. They almost named me Jennifer. Jennifer isn't a bad name but leads to nicknames. One reason I know my parents didn't choose Jennifer was because my mom didn't want me to be called Jen. Then, my mom liked Victoria, but the same thing: she didn't want people to call me Vicki, she wanted me to be called the name she chose. Most people don't shorten Krista. It's short, simple, and easy to learn how to write. So, my name is Krista. It became interesting when I started school. There were two other Krista's in my grade and in third grade, we all ended up in the same class. One was spelled Krysta and then myself and the other were spelled the same: Krista. So, we had to do something. We had to have a distinction between the three of us. Krysta became Krysta with a y. Why people were willing to say that and not say Krista R. and Krista S. I do now know. So one of us had to have a nick name. one of us was about to become Kris. As much as my mom didn't like nicknames, I now had one. I can't say that I remember much about how I felt when it happened but I do remember in 5th grade trying to get people to go back to Krista. Thankfully, I haven't been called Kris since, thankfully.

My middle name is Marie. It seems like a pretty common middle name. It is one of the first guesses people have when trying to figure out someone's name. Except mine has more meaning than just another middle name. My middle name was passed down to me through my dad's side of my family. Marie is the name of my ancestor that brought my dad's side of the family from Italy to the United States. I love how my middle name has meaning behind it.

I lived in the Dominican Republic for three months as an alternative to SST. My time there was the time of my life. My name there was different than it is here. I said my name was Krista. However, when you look at my name and are thinking in Spanish, the pronunciation is a bit different. The "i" turns into a long "e" sound. My name in the Dominican Republic became Kristal. I am not sure how the "l" got added on the end but as I got introduced people started putting an "l" on the end. Maybe it is a more common name or maybe it is easier to say. But that became my name. My favorite part of my name changing: my 4 year old host brother, Luis, was always very excited to see me when I got home. I think that excitement came from the fact that I played with him and his cars, and always let it go the way he wanted. However, when he said my name, he accented the "i" and made it an extra 2 syllables and slightly louder and higher pitched. I could hear and see the excitement every time I saw him. Every once in a while, my dad will say my name like Luis. It makes me miss my Dominican family.

The different pronunciations and different nicknames tell me what part of my life people are from. It is fun to remember the differences in my name and remember times, especially my time in the Dominican Republic, that are near and dear to my heart.

3 comments:

  1. Interestingly, I was particularly struck by the history behind your second name: Marie, the woman who brought your dad's side of the family over from Italy. I like that you have history behind your middle name... the closest I have is that my middle name is from my Father--not too much history there.

    Reading this inspired me to go on a search for the "history" behind any of my names. I found that many people don't have a "history" until they enter their last names, which is sad. Personally, I think each name should have a history of some sort. But last names seem to tie us to place, people, customs, etc., and this is a difficult habit to break. For example: my last name is "Kyle", and allegedly this was an ancient clan name in Scotland who settled around Ayrshire.

    What sort of history is tied to your name? Are your Italian names tied to any particular person in Italy who was historically famous?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading a little bit about your time in the Dominican Republic. International travel is my favorite thing in the world, and I thoroughly enjoy hearing other people's stories. I'd love to hear more about your experiences in the DR.

    I can connect a bit to your name-changing experience in the DR. When I was in Costa Rica with my family for a few weeks, we stayed with good friends of my Mom's, and they called me Miranda, not Mandy which is what I'm used to. I ended up enjoying the change. I loved to hear them roll the r when they said my name. Nicknames are big in Costa Rica, everyone called each other mi amor. I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading about the many ways people say your name, as well as the stories behind your two first names. Your essay shows both that your family passes on stories and that you are a good storyteller. Your descriptions of your DR family are especially vivid. It sounds like you really connected with them!

    ReplyDelete